Wednesday, October 9, 2013

StepIR antenna


SteppIR Antenna
 
 
 
 
Bisbee AZ. StepIR antenna 90 feet high. We have an unusual cloud formation around the sun. The other two vertical elements are part of my 80 meter 4 square.
My wife gave me this antenna for my 80th birthday.
 
This is my second home in Tucson and I am trying to put this antenna up using a gin pole  but I don't have strength to do it, and  it's not going so good so I rented a lift machine.


This lift machine won't move when its up so I had to get it about 20' from the tower, lift the antenna up to clear the brush, then climb down and pull the machine up to the tower with a come along winch.


Here I put the antenna in the top of the tower by hand. Kind of a heavy lift for an 80 year old guy like me but ever thing worked out ok.


Getting ever thing hooked up. The antenna motor control wires, rotator wires and the coax cable.


The 90' tower has five 20' sections.


This is south west Tucson AZ. We have a fair size wash running by so we have a lot gravel for cement projects. This is about 24' off the ground.


Just about done


This is how I raise the tower. When you get it half way up you have to give the drill a rest because it's starting to get a little warm. Using this drill sure beats cranking it up by hand.


Installing my stepper antenna at my second home in Tucson Arizona

W7YRV   Roy in his back yard Tucson AZ.


The little tower on the left, I tried to use it as a gin pole to put the antenna up without using a lift machine but it was too much for me.

Getting the rotator bolts tight.


Installation is finished


  1. Getting ready to pull up the 90' tower for my StepIR antenna at it's 3rd location in Bisbee, AZ..
Another try without the lift machine. First we stand up the antenna 

Now we pull up the tower


 
  Now we line up the mast to go into the top of the tower. It's cheaper but not as easy as using the lift machine.


Now that the mast pipe is all the way in we are ready to lift the tower. The other two towers are part of my 80-meter four square.

All done, we are now ready to start hamming it up. I had to use the little tower on the right because I forgot to tape up the coax to the boom and couldn't reach it from the main tower. 

 































No comments:

Post a Comment